Want to know what Gamerz Roq is going to be about? No worries, but let’s first start off with some important facts:
Who are homeless families?
The typical sheltered homeless family is comprised of a mother in her late twenties with two children.
- 84% of families experiencing homelessness are female-headed. This is due to a number of factors:
- Most single-parent families are female-headed (71%). Single-parent families are among the poorest in the nation and as such, are extremely vulnerable to homelessness
- Many family shelters do not accept men into their programs, causing families to separate when they become homeless
- Families of color are over-represented in the homeless population. Nationally:
- 43% are African-American
- 15% are Hispanic
- 38% are White, non Hispanic
- 3% are Native American
- Families experiencing homelessness usually have limited education:
- 53% of homeless mothers do not have a high school diploma
- 29% of adults in homeless families are working
- 42% of children in homeless families are under age six
SOURCE - The National Center on Family Homelessness. (Summary from Green Door).
On a single night in January 2015, 564,708 people were experiencing homelessness — meaning they were sleeping outside or in an emergency shelter or transitional housing program.
SOURCE - endhomelessness.org
Although estimating the homeless population is difficult, about 1.4 million students in the U.S. were homeless at the start of the 2013-14 school year. Children not enrolled in school, although their numbers are less easily measured, push the total number of homeless children and youth significantly higher.
SOURCE - Child Trends
Okay...that being said...nowvcheck this out... according to stats shared by Big Fish Games:
Only 29% of Gamers are under the age of 18.
Over 59% of Americans play games - That means that in America alone, over 150 million people play games. 150 million people spread over a vast variety of backgrounds, ages, genders, socioeconomic statuses. All of us are jumping into stories, swapping gummies, fighting foes, traveling through time, and finding hidden objects.
Not only can we Gamers do all these things and be victorious, but we have and opportunity to have an epic impact in the lives of others. GAMERZ ROQ is a PLC Project that is designed to be conduit for Gamers to make a difference in the lives of homeless families.
Gamers are never ones to shy away from a challenge and through their contributions, Gamerz Roq, will be supplying Women Shelters and homeless families with school supplies, computers, camp scholarships, and yes games for the children. Now that’s what’s up!
Twenty-Five percent of all donations to a PLC Project goes into a general account for overall expenses. You can also become a Guardian Angel by checking the box to give monthly.
If you would like to volunteer and become part of this Epic Team, please feel free to contact us!
Thank you for your support and helping Gamerz Roq make a difference!
-PLC Staff & Gamerz Roq Project Team!